While I don’t like having family as far away as New York, I do love being able to visit them. My brother didn’t make it home for Thanksgiving this year, so I convinced my boyfriend that we should take a trip there instead. We thought it would be fun to switch things up by ditching the conventional hotel stay for a different experience, opting instead for an Airbnb rental, and I’m so glad we did. I’ve always loved the charm of the West Village (probably because it’s one of the oldest neighborhoods in the city), and because there aren’t many hotels in the immediate area, I knew that renting an apartment was the only way to guarantee a stay in the heart of it. I think our decision to live like the locals was really what made the difference, because we both agreed it was one of our favorite New York trips. It was also some of the coldest weather I’ve ever experienced (hello, 27 degrees!), but despite the freezing temperatures, it was fun to bundle up in clothing I don’t normally get the chance to wear, and experience a true winter on the East Coast.
If you follow my blog, you’ve probably caught on to the fact that I try to avoid short-lived trends, instead focusing on classic pieces (and colors) that can be worn for years to come. This isn’t to say that I don’t love a good trend, though, so when I can sneak one into an otherwise classic look, I consider it a major win. This skirt offers exactly that. The mesh paneling gives it a modern, edgy feel, but the black pencil silhouette is a timeless one. Fevrie is filled with endless options just like this, and I’ve teamed up with them to give one lucky winner a $50 gift card to their site! To enter, head on over to my Instagram. In addition, they’re offering 40% off your entire order from now through 1/31/15 with the code: adornedbyjenna
2. I love the way antlers bring an outside element into the home and these Faux Deer Antlers in silver add a fun, modern touch.
3. I recently discovered BOXFOX via Instagram, and boy am I glad I did. They curate the most adorable themed gift boxes you can imagine, filled with thoughtful, quality products that suit most any occasion. This DRINK box, complete with gourmet hot chocolate ingredients and a festive pashmina, would be perfect for cozying up this holiday season. (P.S. – you can enter to win one here!)
4. Scarfs are undoubtedly useful during winter, but I wear them surprisingly often during warmer months, too. They look just as great bundled over a heavy jacket as they do layered on top of a tank (like I did here). You can’t beat the price or endless color options of this one. (Free shipping on www.target.com)
5. Gold bangles are an accessory staple and Madewell makes some of the best in my opinion. I love the look of these Hammered Bangles. (Free shipping on www.madewell.com)
6. This Owl Ceramic Bookends Set is cute as can be. And if white isn’t your preference, they could easily take on a new color with a simply DIY spray paint. (Free shipping on www.target.com)
7. This Dwellstudio Giraffe feels youthful and sophisticated all in one. It reminds me of something you might find in the Jonathan Adler collection; only this one is a fraction of the price.
8. If you’re familiar with Kat Tanita from With Love From Kat, then you might already know of her recent travel collection collaboration with GiGi New York. These leather luggage tags come in a variety of colors and are one of my favorites from the collection.
9. Apart from just being functional, throws make a great accent piece for any bed, chair or couch. I love these colors (and their prices!) (Free shipping on www.target.com)
10. My brother gave me the Humans of New York book as a gift last year and it immediately earned a spot on my coffee table. It’s filled with funny and moving quotes that truly capture the spirit of humanity.
11. These Square Lacquer Trays serve endless functions (I use mine for jewelry and nail polish storage) and I love the idea of monogramming them for a more personalized gift.
12. If I had endless space in my kitchen, I would own these Milkglass Cake Stands in every color possible. I own one in white (seen here) and I love the vintage feel they add to any cake presentation.
13. It’s always wise to keep thank you notes on hand and it doesn’t get cuter than saying it in French with this Merci Set.
Crop tops are one of a few re-emerging 90s trends that I love but had yet to really incorporate into my own style. I’ve owned this one for a while, but hadn’t found the right opportunity to wear it. Maybe because it’s a little more revealing than most of my other tops, or because its wear is pretty limited to warmer weather, but for whatever reason, it’s been sitting in my closet for the last year. I packed it with me for my trip to Miami, hoping I might finally make use of it, and I was so glad I did because as soon as we stepped out in South Beach, I realized how well it fit in. In fact, everything I packed was far from risqué in comparison to all of the bodycon dresses and high heels around the city. And regardless, there’s just something fun about taking more fashion risks on vacation, and Miami was the perfect city to do just that.
Even though I love them on others, I can be a little shy about wearing loud patterns or bright colors. But if there’s any place to wear them, Miami is it. Between the turquoise ocean, tropical flowers and colorful buildings, the city is filled with color everywhere you look. So when I spotted this statement dress from ASOS, I knew it was bound to fit right in. I would have expected this to be one of those dresses I’d pull out only for special occasions, like a vacation or summer wedding, but after receiving compliments from complete strangers, I think I may have to wear it more often than I had planned.
4. I don’t know why, but things just taste better when sipped through a cute straw. Add one of these striped paper straws to a mason jar and you’ve got yourself a Pinterest perfect drink. (Free shipping on www.target.com)
5. It’s always fun adapting makeup and nail polish to go along with the seasons and Essie offers the perfect palette of red nail polish for the holidays. (Free shipping on www.nordstrom.com)
6. These fashionable (and often metallic) tattoos are popping up everywhere lately, and since I’d never get a real one, I’m all for this temporary option. (Free shipping today only on www.forever21.com)
7. Mercury votives are a truly elegant way to display candles, and these are no exception.
8. I use these Atom Art Bowls for everything. From jewelry storage, to food storage, they’re extremely versatile, and at $8 a bowl, they’re a total steal. (25% off with code: HOLIDAY25)
9. Anthropologie has the best selection of antique looking knobs. Not only would they add character to any drawer, but I love the idea of using them to display necklaces. (25% off with code: HOLIDAY25)
Instead of spending Thanksgiving at home this year, my boyfriend and I decided to head east to spend a few days in Miami followed by a visit to New York. I wouldn’t call LA’s weather particularly brutal this time of year, but the warm, humid air in Miami has been so nice. We’ve both been saying how tropical it feels, which will be tough to say goodbye to when it comes time to leave for New York’s 30-degree temps. Because the nights are just as warm as the days here, I’ve been taking advantage of the ability to wear dresses while I can. I wore this white dress out to dinner our first night to a delicious Italian restaurant called Fratelli La Bufala. You’re practically asking for marinara stains with a decision like that, but between their heavenly focaccia bread and fresh pizzas, it was completely worth the risk. And I’m happy to report that I made it through sans any spills.
I spotted this top at Forever 21 the other day and immediately thought, “that’s so me.” And when I noticed that it was under $20, I pulled it off the rack and went straight to the register without even trying it on. Investing in a button-down blouse is always worthwhile, but with a price tag like this, I didn’t even have to question whether or not it was a smart investment. There are certain pieces that are just great to have on hand, whatever the occasion, and this is undoubtedly one of them. Whether you’re combining it with a nice skirt or pair of slacks for work, or wearing it with casual denim like I did here, it suits just about any occasion and feels timelessly classy.
Blouse: J.Crew(25% off with code: SHOPNOW), Skirt: Lovers + Friends (available here and here), Clutch: Dior, Heels: Similar here
I’ve always been intrigued by high-waisted pencil skirts. As a little girl, I used to dream of wearing them as part of a business suit to work because I thought they were so feminine and flattering. That dream quickly deteriorated as I entered corporate America and felt compelled to wear some variation of them every day. But I still love incorporating them into my wardrobe outside of work. Although they’re typically paired with more formal pieces, I’m amazed at how well they can take on a casual vibe with just a few small adjustments. I dressed this one up this time, but the striped pattern would fit just as well with a pair of sneakers and a casual tee tied over it.
Having recently decided that my wardrobe could use a camel coat, I set out on a mission to find one. Plus, with an upcoming trip to New York, I wanted something substantial that would actually keep me warm. Knowing it would be a practical investment, I began my search with some higher-end retailers, but was disappointed with the selection. I quickly learned that in the fashion world, the end of October is considered “late in season” for coat shopping, so I began to accept that I might have to wait until next season to find what I was looking for. But as a last resource I decided to stop into Forever 21, and that’s when I spotted this one. I loved it more than the previous ones I had tried, and the same held true for the price tag. I was so excited with my find that I sent a photo to my mom from the dressing room. She immediately responded with a request that I pick up a second one for her, and she loves it just as much as I do. I wasn’t expecting to wear it before my trip, but I was able to make good use of it this weekend when visiting my boyfriend in San Francisco. The foggy mornings and brisk temperatures made it the perfect addition to layer over my lighter tee.