I’d love to pretend that I eat healthy most of the time, but I’d be lying if I told you that was the case. My sweet tooth knows no bounds, and I’m pretty sure I’ve never made it a full day without carbs. Needless to say, I’m not a big believer in dietary restrictions, but I do believe in the importance of incorporating essential nutrients into your diet. I’ve gotten pretty good about working fruit and vegetables into my daily routine (as mentioned in this post via smoothies and green juices), but hitting every category of the food pyramid can be a challenge, especially when you’re on-the-go and pressed for time.
The one I’m most likely to neglect is protein. I find that consuming it in its traditional form (meats, poultry, and fish) often means spending lots of time in the kitchen between meal prep and cooking, so I’m always looking for shortcuts to get my fix, like adding avocado to a sandwich or an egg to a salad. I’ll even sneak it into my smoothies in more unusual ways (like I did here with cannellini beans and avocado), or with a more obvious scoop of concentrated protein powder. It never occurred to me, though, that I could get the best of both worlds by adding that same nutrient-rich powder to other things, like some of the more indulgent foods that I refuse to give up. I gave it a try this past weekend by mixing two scoops of OLLY Nourishing Smoothie Velvet Vanilla Powder into some pancake batter (sounds a little odd, I know), but it was a huge success. I was worried it might alter the flavor, but I served the pancakes for brunch and nobody had a clue about the added protein, fiber and vitamins they were receiving until I spilled the beans. I’m not sure if it was my secret ingredient, or the simple joy of homemade pancakes on a Sunday, but we all agreed that they were some of the best we’d had.
I’ve included the recipe below, and if you’re interested in trying OLLY Smoothies out for yourself, now’s the perfect time because they’re offering a chance to win over $1,000 in prizes, including a six-month supply of your two favorite OLLY Smoothies, a $500 gift card to Target, a Harley Pasternak Power Blender, and a $200 gift card to Athleta! Just for entering, you’ll receive a $5 coupon to Target for any OLLY Smoothie. To enter for a chance to win, head on over to their Smoothie Style Sweeps.
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 1/2 tsps baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
1 1/3 cups milk
3 tbsp butter, melted
2 tbsp OLLY Nourishing Smoothie Velvet Vanilla Powder
1. Melt the butter in microwave for 30 seconds, set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder.
3. Stir milk and egg together.
4. Create a well in the center of the flour mixture.
5. Pour the butter and milk mixture into the well.
6. Use a wire whisk to stir everything together until just combined. It will be slightly thick and lumpy, but should be well incorporated.
7. Allow the batter to rest while heating a lightly oiled skillet or griddle to medium high heat.
8. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately ¼ cup for each pancake.
9. Cook each side for 3-6 minutes, until lightly golden brown.
10. Top with syrup and fruit.
*Thank you to OLLY for collaborating on this feature.