Every so often I write about an outfit that has the ability to transition from day to night, so today I thought I’d share a look that can do just that by showing it two ways; proving that a few simple tweaks can have a big impact when it comes to versatility. Below are six tricks I follow to make the transition a seamless one:
- Start with a classic foundation – The easiest way to ensure versatility is by starting with classic pieces for the foundation of your outfit, and building from there. A timeless pair of Levi’s, a simple black camisole, and some neutral flats like the ones I’m wearing here should do the trick.
- Swap your handbag for a clutch – When I’m styling an outfit for a daytime look, I always carry a crossbody purse or bag with straps, not only to maintain a more casual vibe, but to keep my hands free while running errands throughout the day. Come nighttime, I’ll opt for a clutch to give my outfit a more formal feel. This one by Chelle & Mi is perfect because of its multi-purpose functionality. Not only is the front flap interchangeable, allowing you to mix and match a variety of colors and prints to match your outfit, but it also offers a detachable shoulder chain, transforming it from a purse to a clutch in a matter of seconds. For the daytime version of this look, I kept the purse simple with a matching neutral flap. I then ditched the shoulder chain and substituted a more textured, patterned flap to dress things up a bit for my evening look.
- Replace flats with heels – Exchange sandals or flats for some dressier heels.
- Add a third layering piece – I’ve talked about the “third piece rule” before, and it’s especially handy for altering your look. Adding an interesting jacket or a light trench is an ideal transitional piece because it serves a dual purpose of keeping you warm while simultaneously polishing off your outfit.
- Add accessories or statement pieces – I tend to prefer minimal jewelry no matter what the occasion, but adding additional jewelry or statement pieces will add some glam for a more evening-appropriate outfit.
- Opt for more dramatic makeup – Play around with your makeup by adding a bold lip or a smokey eye for a more dramatic effect.
And just like that, this classic combination can be taken from daytime errands to drinks in just minutes!